Tuesday, May 24, 2011

FRED LAE, FUHS 1947

Lae, Fred A., of Fullerton, CA peacefully passed away Tuesday, May 17th, holding the hand of his beloved wife of over 50 years, Kay Lae. Fred was 81 years old. He lived in Fullerton, CA for over 60 years and in Windsor, CA for the last 19 years. He is survived by his wife, his sister Alice and brother Lewis. He is also survived by his niece, nephew, stepson and stepdaughter, four grandchildren and five great grandchildren. Fred was a veteran of the US Army, serving in Korea. He was injured serving his country leaving him a paraplegic from the age of 21 and went on to live a fulfilling life despite his injuries. Fred enjoyed traveling, gardening, time with his family and dining out at some of his favorite restaurants. He had a great sense of humor, duty to his country and will be missed and fondly remembered by his friends and family. Fred will be laid to rest at Loma Vista in Fullerton, CA at 11:00 a.m., Monday, May 23rd, 2011. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Paralyzed Veterans of America are preferred. www.pva.org  
Published in Orange County Register from May 21 to May 22, 2011
Visit Guest Book  (available until May 21, 2012)

from Connie:
I checked the FUHS database, but couldn’t find any of the siblings listed. I emailed Joan Grigsby Sorsabal, the Pow Wow class rep for her class of 1948, to see if she had any information about him. She found him in her annuals in the class of 1947.

Fred's grand-daughter sent me the following email message. If you want to get in touch with her, she gave me her phone number.

I am Fred Lae's oldest grand-daughter, Laura Manning. I saw your note on the Fullerton Union High School.

I found out that Fred did not finish high school, however he went to Fullerton Union High School. My grandma is not computer literate (yet) and I told her I would print off copies of what I find on the internet for her. I wrote the obituary for her and got it e-mailed to the Register.
If you have any other people who may have commented or wish to, please let me know or if you would like to request any photos or contact my grandma let me know and I will see what we can do.
Fred will truly be missed. He was a big part of my life
Thanks,
Laura

1 Comments:

At 11:36 AM , Blogger beedyr said...

You are correct Fred did not finish high school. Also, there is no mention of his first wife, Doreen, whom he married prior to shipping out for Korea, and who was his wife for nine years. After being wounded, Fred was sent to Letterman hospital in San Francisco where he received surgery for his back injury. He worked hard to build up his arm muscles to compensate for his legs...and he never let his injury slow him down.
Fred worked for the City of Fullerton in his youth and, sometime after his return from the war, they hired him again as a dispatcher, a job he could do well from his wheelchair. The City was ahead of it's time in hiring the disabled. Kudos to them.
We are happy to know that Fred had a wonderful life with Kay and all the children. I know she must miss him terribly...he was a sweet man.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home